Monday, September 5, 2011

Greenhorn Bar & Grill

My favorite recipe? Reservations. But lately, I'm trying to find a better me, and one of the new adventures is tackling this whole cooking thing. I hear it's pretty popular.

Sure, I've mastered pasta, cold cereal and the standard household grill but I think I've actually, meaningfully made a dish about three times in my life. Usually it was done to impress a woman and they always survived. But the last time I really followed a recipe, gathered all the ingredients, etc., was to make a bold statement, and it worked, so I felt I'd attempt it again. But for some reason I never embraced the real creative side of eating well at your own hand.

No more. But I made sure to start simple and consult that which is all things perfection. Esquire Magazine. Fresh from their "Recipes For Men" section I bring you...

COCA-COLA BRINED FRIED CHICKEN

Not too crazy from the ingredients side and real easy to accomplish once you get the assembly line down. Lots of great spice and an intriguing step in using Coca-Cola for the brine.
Not a bad arsenal
Old school bottles = tastes better


 






















I made some changes and used egg beaters and also substituted Chipotle Sauce instead of Hot Sauce. Granted not the most healthy recipe but I'm a rookie, plus, I'm headed to New Orleans this Fall and this recipe is an old standard down there. Making the batter is easy, feel free to add some more spice if you like as the consistency of the batter and the brine do enough to cut any real hotness from the peppers and spices used. And like the 10 year old I am, it was fun to see the Coke brine bubble up as you add some of the ingredients.

Look at that cayenne!
Soaking up goodness
Assembly line is ready


 










Drain then dab dry the chicken!




































Out of the brine and into the frying pan! You need a descent lagoon sized pan for the canola oil and shortening and be careful when it gets hot. Yes, I sprayed myself with hot oil more than once, an no, it was not as fun as it sounds.

If you do it right, the batter clings pretty well but you must make sure to drain the chicken post brine and then dab a little bit. Then, the fireworks!
First dip...BAM!
Almost ready


 






















Remember to grab a thermometer to check the temperature of the oil, if you don't have one, just cut into a piece and take a look for your self after about 7 to 9 minutes - no pink!!
Victory!
I came...I saw...


 






















Needless to say it was a bonafied delicious Americana recipe for this Labor Day weekend. The coke based brine makes for a very tender and juicy piece of fried goodness. And I'm still alive. Enjoy and on to the next culinary adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment